Lesson learned - CHECK YOUR BEARINGS!!!

General talk about fourby related Issues

Lesson learned - CHECK YOUR BEARINGS!!!

Postby slydar » Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:40 pm

this is what can happen, in spite of the bearings only being one year old. this was on our boat trailer - just as we turned into tomago road on our way to lemon tree a concerned driver gave us a toot and pointed over, letting us know the wheel was 'sparking'- it is believed the axle may have already been scored from a previous lack of maintenance (so much for the previous owner being a mechanic)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
slydar
fire trailer

Re: Lesson learned - CHECK YOUR BEARINGS!!!

Postby nig » Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:04 pm

That can make a real mess of your day

Have had a few boat trailer bearings fail over the years, and got into the habit of replacing them at the beginning of summer every year whether they were worn out or not

09 Isuzu D-Max dualcab traytop
nig

Postby ST391GQ » Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:39 pm

slydar wrote: (so much for the previous owner being a mechanic)

HMMMM...ever had a good look at a mechanics own car ????!!!!
My trailer is now 34 years old ...and on only its second set of bearings.
I believe that bearing life is only as good as the grease used in them. The current set of bearings was installed with Nulon L80 grease...and to date they have been fine..with only a nip up of bearings on 1 side after ..jeez..I dunno...years and years (was that long ago I cant remember when I replaced them). It does long runs out west at least 5 times a year..plus all the little jobs around town that a trailer does...even a run to Sydney last year for some heavy stuff.
All I do is check if any play before each trip (there is always a tiny little bit...but never gets worse)...and make sure tyres are ok. I have had a cuppla tyres start to split coz of old age ....but never any real bearing problems. Oh ...and it has always been shedded or under cover too.

Cheers Keith
ST391GQ

Postby slydar » Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:36 pm

aaaah - shedding... under cover... i wish i could win the argument for as much as a carport...

i did check the wheel for play and thought i detected a little but didnt think it was enough to worry about but then again it was on the ground at the time and the missus gets impatient if i wander around checking too much - i guess a big issue for us is we dunk the trailer deep when loading/unloading the boat (or we cant get the bugger on or off...!!!) and maybe the seal wasnt as good as i thought. still, the concept of regreasing every year is good, it was 'one of those things i never got around to'

oh well - if anyone wants me i'll be under the truck with the grease gun!
slydar
fire trailer

Postby nig » Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:25 pm

ST391GQ wrote:
slydar wrote: (so much for the previous owner being a mechanic)

HMMMM...ever had a good look at a mechanics own car ????!!!!
My trailer is now 34 years old ...and on only its second set of bearings.
I believe that bearing life is only as good as the grease used in them. The current set of bearings was installed with Nulon L80 grease...and to date they have been fine..with only a nip up of bearings on 1 side after ..jeez..I dunno...years and years (was that long ago I cant remember when I replaced them). It does long runs out west at least 5 times a year..plus all the little jobs around town that a trailer does...even a run to Sydney last year for some heavy stuff.
All I do is check if any play before each trip (there is always a tiny little bit...but never gets worse)...and make sure tyres are ok. I have had a cuppla tyres start to split coz of old age ....but never any real bearing problems. Oh ...and it has always been shedded or under cover too.

Cheers Keith

Yes, my 23 year old box trailer is on only its second set of bearings, but boat trailers are a different story - see you get them nice and hot and then dunk them in cold salt water, let them sit all day and then dunk them again and drive home at highway speed with a mixture of salt water and grease as a lubricant, :eek: then you park it for a week or so and the corrosion starts. :frown: A regular cycle of this through summer sort of stresses them out. Of course you could get industrious and clean/grease them every time you use the boat, but of course that never happens :wink:

09 Isuzu D-Max dualcab traytop
nig

Postby slydar » Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:57 am

well - the latest on this saga - the repair place told me yesterday they cleaned ther bearings and in spite of one set being brand new (put on to repalce the failed one two days before we took it to them for the axle works) it needed replacing already! they werent sure which side as they took both off and cleaned them together - one on the other side wasnt too healthy either. it looked as though one had been put on, taken off agan and put back on and had a scratch that could be felt but not seen easily even when clean

ok - so - the original new hubs i put on a year ago were a.r.k., the replacement one is a trojan - can anyone suggest better hubs? one thing for sure i'll be upgrading to koyo bearings as soon as i get the thing home (unless anyone can recommend better here as well?)

thanks to nig for his words, i had a feeling that salt water ingress had something to do with it although we usually stop and camp the night before we launch and rarely go more than a kilometer to the launch ramp - that said it only has to happen once or maybe twice (hetherbrae to lemon tree a couple of times) and there's the answer even if the things seemed perfect on last trip (i often walk around and check the bearing temperature a couple of times on each canberra-to-newcastle trip)

(hmm - always the geek: inventor at work - remote temperature and vibration sensors on the trailer axle for a bit better notification of problems as opposed to a good samaritan catching up and calling out on his way past ...)
slydar
fire trailer

Postby slydar » Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:09 pm

more on the saga of the bearings - decided to shout us a new pair of multi fit galvanised wheels with lt tyres- all well and good but the nuts I had used on the previous ones didnt bite into the disappointingly thin metal of the new wheels and i got as far as williamtown and decided to stop and check only to find the wheel nuts and the new wheel on one side had chewed each other out and the studs on the new hub - NOT HAPPY! got some otehr wheel nuts, god only knows where from (the servo didnt have any, the missues found some in the glove box...) and they held (with the aid of an impact gun) until i replaced the hub AGAIN. nexct morning we drove as far as the se3rvo to fill the tanks on the boat and back to the launch ramp - lo and behold, the wheel nuts had come undone by at least 5 turna snd the studs on the newest hub were chewed out AGAIN - lesson learned here? dont quite know yet - again with the aid of the impact gun the nuts were tightened up as they were and after laying awake all night wondering whetehr the change the hub AGAIN or get some different wheel nuts we decided to drive back to the highway checking the nuts and beraring every few miles and it was all holding to the highway. carrying on we checked every ten, twenty, fifty and hunderd miles until sydney where we decided they were doing ok and we got home on them to canberra.

new wheel nuts on the way, have ordered simken bearings and grease and new studs and i will use the new spare wheel (not chewed out) and see how we go

lesson learned? wheels may be on special for a reason...
slydar
fire trailer

Return to General Fourby Discussion