Rear Drum Brake Leak?

All other makes of fourby tech issues here

Rear Drum Brake Leak?

Postby Leedo » Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:35 am

Hey guys,

fortnight ago my low brake fluid light came on so i topped it up. then a week later i noticed it was getting low again.. a little to quickly i thought. Checked the booster no leaks, fronts no leaks. then i got to the rears and the paint on the rear plate of both hubs had gone all gooey which i assume is caused from the fluid.

now the fun part.. what is involved it giving the rear brakes a fresh'in up to stop the leak and would it be worth while checking wheel bearings while i got the wheels off??

Leedo
Leedo

Postby Taziiy » Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:30 am

Leedo wrote:Hey guys,

fortnight ago my low brake fluid light came on so i topped it up. then a week later i noticed it was getting low again.. a little to quickly i thought. Checked the booster no leaks, fronts no leaks. then i got to the rears and the paint on the rear plate of both hubs had gone all gooey which i assume is caused from the fluid.

now the fun part.. what is involved it giving the rear brakes a fresh'in up to stop the leak and would it be worth while checking wheel bearings while i got the wheels off??

Leedo

Hi Leedo

With the drum brake rear it sounds like you need to refresh your wheel cylinders and while you are there if the brake pads are low it would be a good time to replace them as well

Taziiy

Postby nig » Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:36 am

It is pretty staightfoward doing the slave cylinders, and they arn't real expensive either - I got mine from Repco when I did them. The worst part of the job was cleaning all the gunge out - fluid, peeling paint and brake dust makes this wonderfull mud that sticks to everything. And as Taz says, do the brake shoes at the same time, if you have had fluid leaking they could be a bit dodgey and you have to take them apart to get to the cylinders anyway. As there are lots of pieces in the drum brake, and they all seem to fall apart once you unhook the key spring, I recommend leaving one side intact until you have finished the other so you can work out what bits hook in where.

I wouldnt bother with the wheel bearings unless they are noisy or you are getting diff work done anyway - I had mine done at 180,000 ks, but then I had the diff out getting it shimmed up and new seals so the axles had to come out anyway

09 Isuzu D-Max dualcab traytop
nig

Postby Leedo » Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:58 am

thanks nig and taz,

just went and picked up ramps and jack as i had no tools or equipment when i moved house. will order slaves and shoes up front cause its my daily driver and my luck id olny order slaves and need shoes anyway.

the reason i asked bout wheel bearings is that when i had my new tyres put on the fitter told me i have diff leaks while it was hoisted.. i think he was p*ssing in my pocket cause now that i look at it the only leak i have is the brake fluid on hubs which is what he would have seen and thats not the diff anyway..

wrote a small list of things i need while i was under the deo ha ha
- 1 x exhaust rubber
- rear shockie bushes
- check oil in transfer case
- find/make tool for lowering the spare (didnt come with car)
Leedo

Postby Taziiy » Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:47 am

Its sounds like the tyre shop just seen the leak and assumed that the bearings where leaking but while you have them apart it wouldn't hurt to inspect them

By the way this could be the crudy mess that Nig was talking about

Taziiy

Postby Leedo » Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:17 am

looking forward to it haha.
just one of the few minor things to look at before rego next month.

Leedo
Leedo

Postby Taziiy » Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:22 am

Dont you just love rego time around xmas mine was due last weekend
Taziiy

Postby Leedo » Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:32 am

yeah its a pain in the neck, last 2 cars ive had were Jan rego. atleast this way we are kinda forced into doing all those little things for rego which coincides with an xmas trip.. and a holiday breakdown sucks even more hey.

I'll snap some pics of the deo rear end while its apart, i think nig would appreciate some illustrations lol

Leedo
Leedo

Postby Leedo » Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:28 pm

hey guys rear brakes are finally done, took me all of 90mins to complete which was a bonus in the heat lol.. now my next problem, in my green wisdom i lost alot of fluid while i had the first one off and only relised i could plug the line with the rubber plug off the new cylinder after i had lost all my fluid.. does that mean i have air in my whole system front and rear?? any ideas on how to bleed it myself or should i ask the misus nicely to pump the pedal for me ha ha.

Leedo
Leedo

Postby Taziiy » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:31 pm

i would say it would only be the one that emptied but i would bleed all of them while your at it and it is more then a 1 person job unless you have one of them automatic bleeders so yes i think you may be calling on the mrs to pump you nicely
Taziiy

Return to Other Makes