disco gearbox

All other makes of fourby tech issues here

disco gearbox

Postby jimbo jones » Thu May 01, 2008 10:29 pm

Hi all I have just bought myself a 96 disco tdi auto the box is on its last legs and I can get a box out of a 95 v8 one will it fit can the bell housing be changed?

jimbo
[color="Red"][/color]105 series GXL diesel 6" springs twin pro locker
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=jimbojones1978
jimbo jones
fire trailer

Postby OGJON » Fri May 02, 2008 4:42 pm

it depends on whether they are the same
is yours a rover ZF?
also is the other 1 a rover ZF of the same yr?
He hecho el alma de una máquina perdida y quebrada

Me pierden en el silencio ensordecedor de un grito

building "PROJEKT SP1D0R" keeps me poor
OGJON
fire trailer

Postby Dobbo » Sun May 04, 2008 12:50 am

ZF gearboxes are not all the same, remove the transfer case and bellhousing and a ZF from a BMW M3 looks remarkably like a ZF from a Discovery. The gearboxes come in both electronic and hydraulic formats as well, if the replacement gearbox is off the same year model, chances are it will be similar or exact. However, if your going to al the trouble of removing the box surely a reco and a new torque convertor are sensible things to do? Anything less is like using glad wrap as a Contraceptive device (it may work once or twice, hell it may work 1000 times but you just don't trust it 100%). You may also want to fit an aftermarket oil cooler for the transmission at the same time, the standard one does the job but it is tired, old and most likely the lines are perished if not rusted.
Dobbo
fire trailer

Postby Goldey » Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:35 pm

Jimbo

I'm with Dobbo on this. I have a 98 tdi Auto Disco and have just recently upgraded the standard cooler to a cooler off a p38 Range Rover (3 times the size of the original) for the auto. With the expense and hassle of dropping your old box out and putting the V8 one in (which I'm not 100% sure would fit having not done that swap myself, although they would both be similar in that neither are electronically controlled) you would be much better off overhauling the one you have, oh and definitely upgrade the woosy standard auto cooler, I overheated my box twice before putting the bigger cooler in.

Cheers
Goldey
Love life, my family and my Disco!!! 98 300 tdi Auto, Warn XD9000, steel bar, 2 inch lift, 245/75R16 muddies and lots of other goodies.
Goldey
fire trailer

Postby cooter » Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:05 pm

no good the shift points and pump are way different i have looked into this myself
cooter

Return to Other Makes